Monday 23 June 2008

Monday morning Inspiration # 35

A cab driver taught me a million dollar lesson in customer satisfaction and expectation. Motivational speakers charge thousands of dollars to impart his kind of training to corporate executives and staff. It cost me a $12 taxi ride. I had flown into Dallas for the sole purpose of calling on a client. Time was of the essence and my plan included a quick turnaround trip from and back to the airport. A spotless cab pulled up.
The driver rushed to open the passenger door for me and made sure I was comfortably seated before he closed the door. As he got in the driver's seat, he mentioned that the neatly folded Wall Street Journal next to me for my use. He then showed me several tapes and asked me what type of music I would enjoy.
Well! I looked around for a "Candid Camera!" Wouldn't you? I could not believe the service I was receiving! I took the opportunity to say, "Obviously you take great pride in your work. You must have a story to tell." "You bet," he replied, "I used to be in Corporate America. But I got tired of thinking my best would never be good enough. I decided to find my niche in life where I could feel proud of being the best I could be.
I knew I would never be a rocket scientist, but I love driving cars, being of service and feeling like I have done a full day's work and done it well. I evaluate my personal assets and... wham! I became a cab driver.
One thing I know for sure, to be good in my business I could simply just meet the expectations of my passengers. But, to be GREAT in my business, I have to EXCEED the customer's expectations! I like both the sound and the return of being 'great' better than just getting by on 'average'" Did I tip him big time? You bet! Corporate America's loss is the traveling folk's friend! -----Lessons:
Go an Extra Mile when providing any Service to others.
The is no good or bad job. You can make any job good.
Good service always brings good return.

To read other Monday morning Inspirations click here.

12 comments:

Bit Rocks! said...

"Good service always brings good return"...its a good point!bt sm ppl think they are bigger than their job and wont treat cumtomers well..

Nirmal said...

hey tat was a great post...inspiring...

even i wanted to be a richshaw driver whne i was a child..

hehehe

Sanjai Gandhi said...

//Good service always brings good return.//

well said shalu.. :)

Vasanthan said...

taxi drivers in Singapore have to read this, they never stop for you at none peak hours, just to make us wait till peak period starts and we have to pay them more. Zero for customer service.
btw how are u going, haven heard from your for a looong time.

Vaibhav J said...

Good taxi driver, takes pride in his work and i believe he must be honest as well
Cheers!

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Bharat

Thanks! It is always good to be humble and modest in whatever position we are. That differentiates a normal person from a successful one :)


@Nirmal

Thanks! why don you try working towards your dream ;)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Sanjai

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Will visit yours soon :)


@Vasanthan

Im doing great! Jus' a lil held up with the intern work. I guess taxi drivers at singapore were pretty good, but I guess you should be knowing it better.

Hope your doing better now.

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Vaibhav

Absolutely! :)

Vasanthan said...

This news just came in..singaporean taxi drivers have now added " fuel sub charge" that is hourly charge+ actual fair + Fuel charges...

i think i have to get a car now..mybe become a taxi driver...

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Vasanthan

OMG! inflation everywhere *sigh*

ishqia said...

hi shalini thanks for dropping by my blog.. nice driver u met there and enjoyed his services and shared with us a beautiful fact..

nice experience

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@ishqia

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Thanks for dropping by my blog :)