Tuesday 26 April 2011

A Book A Week # 1 - Wise and Otherwise

The first thing that got me into reading the book is its title " Wise and Otherwise" , the second is its author Sudha Murthy. Only when I saw this book in the stands of one of Chennai's popular bookstore few years ago did I know Sudha Murthy is the wife of the founder of Infosys (Mr.Narayana Murthy) and also that she is a writer and had authored half a dozen of books in the past years.

They say experience is the best teacher and the one who says that should have seen a lot in their life. Wise and Otherwise is a complimation of 51 short stories or real life experiences of Sudha's that are thought provoking in ways small and big. We all love listening to stories and experiences of others, reading through this book reminded me of listening to stories during my moral instruction or value education classes in school.


The reading is simple and light, each story is no longer the 4 - 5 pages. A must read and one of my favourite of Sudha Murthy's writing.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I really wish there could be a online version to buy these books rather waiting to buy the book itself. Even though I like to read books, some times I forgot to pick them from India. I am guessing you post would be helpful to avoid that going forward.

sheila said...

me too wish her books had online version...never thought I would say this but I'm really liking flipping thru books on iPad :) will def pick it up during India trip

Asha said...

I have read this book along with two other books authored by her called 'How i taught my grandmother to read' and another titled 'The old man and other stories'

Though they are a mix of heartwarming and thoughtprovoking reads, I sometimes become critical thinking how she could have encountered so many incidents in life. May be, like she herself adds in one of her foreword - she observes pople around her.


BTW a hearty welcome to this series on book read :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@DG @sheila

You can try downloading the e-book version of wise and otherwise here

http://usenet-nl.com/usenet.php?q=wise%20and%20otherwise%20by%20sudha%20murthy&res=1

Hope this helps or would remind you about picking a copy when you are in India :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Asha

Thank you very much :) I haven't read her other books that you have listed .. Will pick it up the next time I visit the book store ..

I believe most of her experiences are through the insights she gets when observing people around her .. I only people watch most of the times ;)