Saturday 29 January 2011

A day off during the middle of the week makes the entire week a lot more enjoyable, so was it this week with the republic day being celebrated on Jan 26 (Wednesday). Thou' it was a holiday usually it is my weekends and holidays that are packed with more activities than the working days in a week.

Like every other republic day, I accompanied my mom to her office for the flag hoisting ceremony. I wonder for how many years I have been doing this, but I have still not grown out of celebrating the day this way. More so, because I usually look forward to the cultural performances by school kids and end up getting nostalgic thinking about my performances as a part of my school dance group in the very place almost a decade ago.

I spent the later part of my day with family .. Made a short visit to Express Avenue mall and eventually every time I enter this space I end up bumping into some one whom I know, looks like the entire city is here .. but only until we visited the trade fair in Chennai .. the entire parking space in Island ground was full and so was the complete road stretch on either side of the venue.

Finally, decided to go to Bessi beach - bumped into a junior from college - after a bit of walking around the beach and doing a bit of people watching we finally settled to munch on some sundal, the beach delicacy and later some bajji, adai and kuzhi paniyaram from a newly opened chetinnad restaurant along the shore.

At the end of the day, all that I wanted say was Chennai is growing !!!! Phew ! to a level that every place in the city is crowded ..

10 comments:

sheila said...

drooling over your mention of beach sundal and bajji :P

Sriram JP said...

Shals Chennai is always crowded just that you made an effort to go these places on a holiday :)

karthik s said...

absolutely. :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@sheila

Probably bajji and sundal should be made the staple beach food and sold in all beaches around the world :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Sri

I agree its always crowded, but i am usually out on all holidays .. I unusally find it too over crowded off late probably I am jus' choosing the wrong time to step out or noboday wants to stay at home on holidays ..!

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Karthik

:) :)

sheila said...

Shalu...now you have a point!!!

Asha said...

From a conservative madras I knew in my childhood to a crowded cosmo singara chennai today - truly a long way in a short time.

BTW, I miss the sundal and bajji and the beach 'kaathu' of santhome which was close to my paati's house.

Rachit said...

A good amalgam of posts... readers delight.

diyadear said...

hi shalini,

thanks for visiting my page,... sorry for the real late reply :)

Regards,
Divya