Tuesday 4 March 2008

Monday morning Inspiration # 23


I bumped into a stranger as he passed by,
"Oh, excuse me please", was my reply.
He said,"Please excuse me too; Wasn't even watching for you,"
We were very polite, this stranger and I.
We went on our way and said good bye.
But at home a different story is told.
How we treat our loved ones, young and old.

Later that day cooking the evening meal,
My daughter stood beside me very still.
When I turned,I nearly knocked her down.
"Move out of way" I said with a frown.
She walked away, her little heart was broken.
I didn't realise how harshly I'd spoken.

While I lay awake in bed,
a still inner voice said,
"While dealing with a stranger, courtesy you use,
But the children you love, you seem to abuse."

I quietly went and knelt by my daughter's bed;
"Wakeup little girl, wake up" I said.
"daughter I'm so sorry for the way I acted today;
I shouldn't have yelled at you that way."
She said,"Oh ,Mom ,that's okay.I love you anyway."
I said,"Daughter,I love you too."

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working will easily replace us in matter of days.The society around us may not even miss us.But the family we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.And come to think of it, we are at our best with the rest and showcase are worst to the best. People we love the most are the ones we hurt the most, for we reserve our nasty best for our nearest and dearest ones.
Courtesy: Frozen thoughts -Feb 2008 Issue

To read other Monday morning Inspirations click here

11 comments:

--xh-- said...

most of the tiems in life, we take ppl who r close to us for granted.. and sometiems we wont realise it until it is too late...
nice one da...

tulipspeaks said...

it reflects all of us isn't it? *sigh...



ammu.

Vasanthan said...

u are right. i don know why i have some kinda ego when it comes to thanking my father. this post pointed that mistake of mine to me.
Thanks Shalini.

cva said...

Just stumbled upon ur blog.

Wonderful Inspiration!!

We always want to be nice to others / strangers.

When it comes to our loved ones, we know no matter what we do or say they always love us. Taken for granted :-(

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

That was a super poem if I ever saw one. What you said is true. In our desire to be civil with those we meet outside our house, we afford everyone the courtesy and respect that we can give. But in our household, in the midst of our loved ones, we can be so nasty at times. We always reason out that they will understand. Of course they will not understand when we hurt them and then in a jovial mood, we will say we love them. As they say, actions speak louder than words. We must be as courteous and as nice to our loved ones as we are to strangers outside our home. Thanks for the post. God bless you and your loved ones always.

Aarthi said...

Yaa its v true...and nice that u quoted tht here...:)

Aarthi said...

Hey pick up the surprise for u from my blog...hpe u like it...:) and Happy Women's Day....:)

Vasanthan said...

Happy Women's Day to you!

liverpool_21 said...

We do not treat those we love any lesser than others... but we tend to forget to shower them with it..

Sad but true aint it..

Cheers

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Anoop

Yup! that is the bitter truth. We do like our close ones more than others but its jus' that we don take enough efforts to show it to them..

@Tulip

Yup! *sigh*

@Vasanthan

Happens, especially with ones your really close with.. I'm glad the post helped you realise and change :)

@cva

Absolutely! Sad fact .. Thanks for dropping by my blog..Stay in touch :)

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

@Mel avila allerila

Thanks for your kind wishes. I can't agree more with your comment. Thanks for dropping by my blog.Stay in touch! :)

@Aarthi

Belated women's day wishes to you as well. Will drop by your blog soon dear :)

@Vasanthan

Thank you so much! :)

@Liverpool_21
Yea! I guess it is the lack of efforts we take to show our love to our dear ones that make them feel bad .

Thanks for dropping here.Stay in touch! :)